Grace to the Humble - Submitting and Resisting, Part 2
Passage: James 4:7–4:10
Our study in the letter of James provides the believer with practical insights on how to live the Christian life. James emphasizes what we ought to do and what we are to avoid.
1A. WARNING (4:6a)
2A. PROMISE (4:6b)
3A. COMMANDS (4:7-10)
1B. Submit to God, verse 7a.
1C. Submission is the outworking of a humble heart
2C. Submission is the recognition of your need of Him
2B. Resist the Devil, verse 7b.
1C. By the power of Christ
• Christ our Mediator (1 Timothy 2:5-6)
• Christ our Advocate (1 John 2:1-2)
• Christ our Intercessor (Hebrews 7:25)
2C. According to God’s promise—”and he will flee from you”
3B. Draw Near to God, verse 8a.
1C. The provision of Christ (Ephesians 2:13)
• Nearness by way of receiving (John 1:12)
• Nearness by way of returning (Luke 15:11-32; Zechariah 1:2; Malachi 3:7)
2C. The promise of God - “and He will draw near to you”
• We are to draw near every day
• We are to draw near every week
Though the Christian drifts away, God’s promise is that the Christian may return. God is the God of new starts and new beginnings. You can always turn and return to Him. There is more grace in Christ than sin in us.